- One of many possible sounds in the languages of the world.
- The smallest identifiable unit found in a stream of speech.
- Pronounced in a defined way.
- Represented between brackets by convention.
Example: [b], [j], [o]
A phoneme is …
- A contrastive unit in the sound system of a particular language.
- A minimal unit that serves to distinguish between meanings of words.
- Pronounced in one or more ways, depending on the number of allophones.
- Represented between slashes by convention.
Example: /b/, /j/, /o/