An educator is successful when he or she has the ability to transfer knowledge successfully to the students. Knowing how students learn would make them experts in their fields.
For learning process to be successful, the educators must understand their students. Below is a detailed list of 20 things an educator should know about how different students learn.
1. There are many learning styles
Learners can learn through verbal, visual, social, logical, intrapersonal, and kinesthetic learning style among others. Learning can also be in groups or solo.
2. Students learn differently
The educators should understand that their students come from different backgrounds - financially; as well as socially. Therefore they will have different levels of learning and understanding.
3. Accept failure
Failure is a way of learning. People learn from failure. Learning from failures is the easiest method of learning.
4. Integration of the teaching curriculum
Each subject in the syllabus should relate to one other. This way, the learners are able to put the knowledge together.
5. Different forms of learning
Learning has several definitions. It can be through classroom, apprenticeship or practical methods. All these forms should be appreciated and included in the learning program.
6. Learning by Reinforcement
An example of reinforcement is teaching a geography class by use of maps and worksheets or teaching sciences by use of models. This will increase the rate of knowledge absorption by the students.
7. Incorporate kinesthetic learning
This is learning by use of touch and taste senses. Kinesthetic learners must try something on their own, they need to watch it fail and eventually learn from that particular experience.
8. Make learning Relevant
A learner is able to store information when he can relate it to day-to-day living. The educator should therefore use real life examples.
9. Define the learning space
Giving the student space to learn will improve their creativity. The teacher should stop being a dictator and become a true mentor to enable them to effectively learn
10. Use Technology
Incorporate the use of technology in learning through use of customized tablets and laptops. This will make research work easy as the students will not have to walk to libraries in order to learn.
11. Use brainstorming methods
This involves group thinking. This will give birth to good ideas and solution.
12. Teach ways of learning
Through this, they will be more patient with themselves and others as they learn.
13. Involve feedback mechanism
Allow students to ask questions or give suggestions during and after teaching. This way, educators will be able to identify the strength and weaknesses of students.
14. Allow the students to teach
Create a plan to involve students to teach their peers.
Other ways include the following.
15. Creating curiosity and hunger to learn in students through motivational mentoring.
16. Inculcating in them a habit of keeping a learning planner.
17. By providing insights relevant to daily life.
18. By keeping the learning process organized, brief and effective.
19. By understanding that both introversion and extraversion leads to grasping of knowledge, though differently.
20. By making use of materials and resources which are appropriate and effective for a particular lesson.
Author Bio: The author of this guest post is William Tyson. He is a government sponsored student at Yourbestwriters.com Institute of Technology and is pursuing Masters in Education.